The City of Maple Valley obtained the Lake Wilderness Park from King County in January 2003. At 117 acres, Lake Wilderness Park is a large regional park with lots of prime shoreline, preserved forestland, and meandering pathways.
Running through the middle of Lake Wilderness Park is Jenkins Creek, a tributary for Big Soos Creek, which empties into the Green River. The park also includes three wetlands. A variety of birds and animals also make their home in Lake Wilderness Park, including deer, beaver, raccoon, hawks, wrens, and ruffed grouse.
Annual events held in Lake Wilderness Park include: Fishing Derby & Fishermen's Breakfast, Maple Valley Days, Music in the Park, 4th of July Celebration with Fireworks, Kid's Festival and Family Concert, and Outdoor Movie Under the Stars. To view a list of current special events click here.
Families and children are the focus of many amenities at Lake Wilderness Park. Amenities include:
- A children's play area with swings and play structures
- Picnic tables and barbecues
- Three picnic shelters (available for rental)
- Five picnic sites (available for rental)
- Two outdoor tennis courts
- A softball field (available for rental)
- Walking paths and large grassy areas that can be used for a variety of activities, such as Frisbee or a game of catch
- Swim beach with seasonal lifeguards, boat rentals and a concession stand. For more information about these summer programs please click here.
- Summer swimming area; for more information regarding Lake Wilderness click here
- Fishing (licensing information is available at the Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife site).
- Boat launch (internal combustion engines prohibited)
- Access to Green to Cedar Rivers Trail which connects to the Cedar River Trail (Link to King County's web site)
Lake Wilderness Park Map [PDF] to view a map featuring the many amenities of Lake Wilderness Park.
You can reserve a Picnic Site (up to 25 people) or a Shelter (up to 50 people) online or in person at the Lake Wilderness Lodge. Reservations can be made for a Half Day (9:00am-2:00pm; 3:00pm-8:00pm) or Full Day (9:00am-8:00pm). For additional rental information, please contact the Parks & Recreation Department at (425) 432-9953.
Lake Wilderness Parks is open 7:00 a.m. to dusk year round. The public is reminded that fireworks, DANGEROUS weapons (as defined by RCW 9.41.250), open fires, camping, and alcohol and drugs are not allowed in the Park; and domestic animals must be on leashes.
The park swimming area opens for the season in mid-June with the start of the lifeguarding program. Lifeguards are on duty 7 days a week from 12:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. through Labor Day.
For questions or concerns regarding the Park Rules please contact the Parks & Recreation Department at (425) 432-9953.
From I-405, take the Maple Valley Hwy. exit and drive south. Follow the Maple Valley Hwy. (SR 169) approx. 11 miles to Witte Road. Turn right at the light and drive to SE 248th St. Turn left and follow SE 248th .2 miles to the sharp curve. Turn left into the park entrance.
From the south, take Hwy. 18 east to the Maple Valley exit. Turn right at the light on SE 232nd and right again onto the Maple Valley Hwy (Maple Valley-Black Diamond Rd). At Witte Road turn right. Follow Witte Road to SE 248th Street and turn left. At the sharp curve, turn left into the park entrance.