Park Bond Measure
On October 12, 2015 the City Council unanimously approved Ordinance No. O-15-581 authorizing a ballot proposition for issuing general obligation bonds in an amount not to exceed $22,500,000 for the purpose of providing funds to construct, develop, equip, upgrade and improve park and recreation facilities in Maple Valley, and levy excess property taxes to pay the bonds.
The bond election is scheduled for April 26, 2016. The Bonds shall mature in such amounts and at such times within a maximum term of 20 years from date of issue.
The City Council, upon a recommendation from the Parks & Recreation Commission, has approved the following projects to be included in the bond:
List of Projects
- Constructing, improving, developing, and equipping park and recreation facilities at Lake Wilderness Park to implement the City’s Lake Wilderness Park Master Plan Improvements. Projects include but are not limited to the construction of and improvements to parking areas, picnic shelters, playgrounds, trails, shoreline enhancements, landscaping, sport courts, a spray park, and other park improvements.
- Constructing, improving, developing, and equipping park and recreation facilities at Summit Park to implement the City’s Summit Park Master Plan Development. Projects include but are not limited to the construction of lighted synthetic surface athletic fields, a dog park, a skate park, playground equipment, parking facilities, and other park improvements.
- Improving, constructing, and upgrading facilities at the Lake Wilderness Golf Course, including but not limited to paving golf cart paths and making improvements and upgrades to the clubhouse and grounds.
- Acquiring land and/or making improvements to land currently owned by the City to construct, improve, develop and equip a community park. Improvements include but are not limited to installing public infrastructure for public access, constructing trails and walking paths, and making other park and recreation features and improvements.
- Preserving open space, trails, and water features, and improving, constructing and upgrading other City park and recreation facilities.
For the average Maple Valley homeowner with a home assessed at $385,000, the cost for 20 years would be approximately $18.00 per month.
For more information, contact Greg Brown, Parks & Recreation Director, at 425-432-9953 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Bond Ordinance [PDF]