Park Bond Measure
On November 14, 2016 the City Council unanimously approved Ordinance No. O-16-604 authorizing a ballot proposition for issuing general obligation bonds in an amount not to exceed $14,700,000 for the purpose of providing funds to construct, develop, equip, upgrade and improve park and recreation facilities in Maple Valley, and levy excess property taxes to pay the bonds.
The bond election is scheduled for February 14, 2017. The Bonds shall mature in such amounts and at such times within a maximum term of 20 years from date of issue.
Note: This “new” park bond is different than the previous park bond that was put on the ballot in April 2016. This bond does not include the following projects:
• Community Park development at The City owned Legacy Site (a.k.a. the 54-acre site)
• Improvements to the City owned Lake Wilderness Golf Course
• Master Plan Improvements to the City owned Lake Wilderness Park
These three (3) projects totaled $11.5 million.
The City Council, upon a recommendation from the Parks & Recreation Commission, has approved the following projects to be included in the 2017 bond:
List of Projects
• Constructing, improving, developing, and equipping park and recreation facilities at Summit Park to implement the City’s Summit Park Master Plan Development. Projects include but are not limited to the construction of lighted synthetic surface athletic fields and restrooms, an off-leash dog park, a skate park, playgrounds (and equipment), walking trails, parking facilities, and other park improvements.
• Constructing, improving, developing, and equipping park and recreation facilities at the Lake Wilderness Elementary School Site to implement the City’s Master Plan Improvements. Projects include, but are not limited to, the construction of lighted synthetic surface athletic fields and restrooms, and other park improvements.
For the average Maple Valley homeowner with a home assessed at $319,000, the cost for 20 years would be approximately $108.00 per year or $9.00 per month.
Informational meetings for residents to have questions answered about the upcoming bond are scheduled on the following dates:
• Wednesday December 7th - 7:00pm – Lake Wilderness Lodge
• Thursday January 12th – 10:00am - Vintage Vino & Espresso
• Tuesday January 24th – 8:30am to 5:00pm - Lake Wilderness Lodge
• Tuesday February 7th – 6:00pm to 8:30pm - Lake Wilderness Lodge
For more information, contact Greg Brown, Parks & Recreation Director, at 425-432-9953 or email email@example.com.