King County Announces Text-to-9-1-1 Service
Call if you can, text if you can't call
Post Date:12/20/2018 2:35 PM
Return to full list >>
You can now text 9-1-1 in an emergency in King County!
- This new service is intended to help those that cannot call.
- King County asks that texting be reserved for those that are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech impaired, or those in an emergency where being heard may cause additional dangers like home invasions and domestic violence.
- Texts to 9-1-1 are not anonymous and should not be used as a tip line.
Find out more about text-to-9-1-1 at www.kingcounty.gov/911
Should you need to text in an emergency:
- Open the text messaging program on your cell phone.
- Create a new message and enter the numbers “911” into the “To” field.
- Include the location of the emergency and type of help needed (police, fire, or medical) in the very first text.
- Stay with your phone, use full words, and follow instructions from the call taker.
- Never use abbreviations or send photos or videos.