The City of Maple Valley obtained the Lake Wilderness Park from King County in January 2003. At 117 acres, Lake Wilderness Park is a large regional park with lots of prime shoreline, preserved forestland, and meandering pathways.
Running through the middle of Lake Wilderness Park is Jenkins Creek, a tributary for Big Soos Creek, which empties into the Green River. The park also includes three wetlands. A variety of birds and animals also make their home in Lake Wilderness Park, including deer, beaver, raccoon, hawks, wrens, and ruffed grouse.
Annual events held in Lake Wilderness Park include: Fishing Derby & Fishermen's Breakfast, Maple Valley Days, Music in the Park, 4th of July Celebration with Fireworks, Kid's Festival and Family Concert, and Outdoor Movie Under the Stars. To view a list of current special events click here.
Families and children are the focus of many amenities at Lake Wilderness Park. Amenities include:
- A children's play area with swings and play structures
- Picnic tables and barbecues
- Three picnic shelters (available for rental)
- Five picnic sites (available for rental)
- Two outdoor tennis courts
- A softball field (available for rental)
- Walking paths and large grassy areas that can be used for a variety of activities, such as Frisbee or a game of catch
- Swim beach with seasonal lifeguards, boat rentals and a concession stand. For more information about these summer programs please click here.
- Summer swimming area; for more information regarding Lake Wilderness click here
- Fishing (licensing information is available at the Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife site).
- Boat launch (internal combustion engines prohibited)
- Access to Green to Cedar Rivers Trail which connects to the Cedar River Trail (Link to King County's web site)
Lake Wilderness Park Map [PDF] to view a map featuring the many amenities of Lake Wilderness Park.
You can reserve a Picnic Site (up to 25 people) or a Shelter (up to 50 people) online or in person at the Lake Wilderness Lodge. Reservations can be made for a Half Day (9:00am-2:00pm; 3:00pm-8:00pm) or Full Day (9:00am-8:00pm). For additional rental information, please contact the Parks & Recreation Department at (425) 432-9953.
Park Rules [PDF]
For questions or concerns regarding the Park Rules please contact the Parks & Recreation Department at (425) 432-9953.