Finance Department

Business Licenses

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Maple Valley's location code: 1720

Business License


Effective January 1, 2013/Updated October 2, 2018 - New Business License Requirement.
See Maple Valley Municipal Code Chapter 5.35 for more information.

The City of Maple Valley requires all businesses conducting business within the City limits to maintain a City business license. The City has partnered with the Washington State Department of Revenue (DOR), Business Licensing Service, to issue City business licenses. This combined licensing system allows the business owner to meet the local and state requirements with one transaction. A City license will be added to your State Master License as an addendum. 

You can apply for a State business license and a City business license:

  • Online:
    Online applications are typically processed within two business days.

  • Mail: Complete the Business License Application [PDF], City Business License Addendum [PDF], and any additional supplemental forms that apply to your business. Mail materials and check or money order payable to "Department of Revenue" to:

    State of Washington
    Business Licensing Service
    P.O. Box 9034
    Olympia, WA  98507-9034

    Please note, it may take up to 21 days to process your application if you file by mail.

  • In person: Business Licensing Service office in Tumwater.

If you have any question, contact Business Licensing Service at 1-800-451-7985.

In reporting taxes to the State, for work done in Maple Valley, Maple Valley's location code is 1720 and must be included in the appropriate place on the State tax return.

For general business license questions, please contact the City of Maple Valley at or (425) 413-8800.

Special License


The City requires special licenses for the following:

  • Amusement Device Places
  • Amusement Place 
  • Pool and Billiard Tables 
  • Public Dance Places 
  • Secondhand Dealer or Pawn Broker 
  • Outdoor Musical Entertainment 
  • Limited Special Uses (Street or Facility)

Click here to download the special license application [PDF].

For more information see Maple Valley Municipal Code Chapter 5.05.

Peddlers License

Peddlers are required to obtain a license in order to sell or offer to sell any good in the City of Maple Valley.

A "Peddler" is a person who sells goods:

  • while traveling from house to house or from place to place by foot or vehicle, or
  • stands in a doorway or any unenclosed vacant lot, parcel of land or in any other place not used by the person as a permanent place of business

For more information, click here

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer